The NHL’s partnerships with sports operators include MGM and FanDuel
As Chief Revenue Officer, Keith Wachtel is responsible for day-to-day leadership and management of all revenue-generating initiatives for the NHL and has been a key contributor to the League’s path to more than $4.5 billion in annual revenues. He leads all global corporate partnership efforts for the NHL and assumes P&L responsibility across numerous business areas.
Since joining the NHL in 2007, Wachtel has driven more than $1 billion in revenue to the League and member Clubs, negotiating more than 40 League partners across North America and globally including MGM Resorts International, FanDuel, Apple, and SAP.
In this episode Keith discusses the following:
- The opportunity is around the data — using the league’s data to create opportunity in sports betting
- Put and player tracking — live data and statistics for prop bets: especially for Gn Z and millennials
- Better for fan engagement
- Who is going to have the fastest shot?
- Fan engagement increases
- Data and and providing it in real-time is key to best bets
- There are no breaks in hockey: so real-time prop bets are important: who will skate the longest, who will skate the fastest, who will have the hardest shot?
- A chip/sensor will be placed in the shoulder pad and the puck
- There will be more fandom — which will create new business opportunities for the NHL
- Powerful marketing platform — and its creating new technology — and opportunity to bring the technology to other markets including Europe
- In-arena and 5G
- MGM will be leading from the technology standpoint
The No Line podcast is sponsored by Play+
Play+ is a payment platform, developed by Sightline, and used by leading brands nationwide, including Draft Kings, Fan Duel, Caesars, MGM, William Hill, Mohegan Sun, Boyd, Station Casinos, and many others.
Play+ is leading the industry toward cashless and an integrated resort experience, guaranteeing a better user-experience that promotes speed, security, and ease — all from the convenience of one’s phone. Sightline is committed responsible gambling.